Roseland Youth Music (RYM) is the educational branch of Roseland Music Society. It aims to:-
Promote musical activity among young people on the Roseland.
- Provide professional musicians to work in local schools.
- Enable children to experience live music of all types and see and hear a range of musical instruments being played.
- Offer students the opportunity to participate in practical workshops involving listening, composing, improvising, singing, playing and performing together.
- A school visit consists of a 40–45 minute concert for a 5–11 mixed age audience. This should contain some elements of the National Curriculum for music at K.S.1 and 2, be fun and involve child participation. Programme required beforehand.
- The concert is followed by a 45-60 minute workshop, aims and ideas to be agreed with the school.
- There should be a "follow-up" sheet relating to the concert for teachers to use in the classroom.
- All artistes working in schools should have Child Protection clearance from the police.
- The behaviour of students at the concerts will be the responsibility of the school. Being an audience is an important part of the learning process.
- A member of staff, preferably the music co-ordinator, must be present during the workshop to maximise follow up opportunities.
- The cost of the concert is 70p per pupil and £1.20 for those taking part in the concert and workshop. This covers only some of the actual cost. The remainder will be provided through funding arranged as above by The Roseland Music Society.
The Roseland Music Society
- Employs and pays the artistes and organises school visits.
- Seeks sponsors and patrons to fund the visits.
- Acts as liaison between schools and artistes.
- Monitors visits and seek evaluation from schools.
- Funding for RYM activities comes from donations, grants and from contributions provided by participating schools and pupils.
- The scheme is managed by a sub-committee of The Roseland Music Society consisting of 4 members of the full committee plus up to 3 co-opted members.
- The officers of the committee (i.e. chairperson, treasurer and secretary) are drawn from the full committee.
- Roseland Youth Music funds are in a separate bank account, reported to the full committee periodically and presented annually at the AGM.